[sdiy] Orbital Powered Sander Behavior?

Jason Tribbeck Jason.Tribbeck at ascom.com
Tue Nov 4 09:35:44 CET 2008

Hi,

> Thanks for the explanation and confirmation that my sander works as it
> should.  However it makes me wonder why an orbital sander exists if
> rotation has little to do with the sanding action as one can just use
> a finishing sander that doesn't rotate at all.  I figured an orbital
> sander would be good for coarse and fast sanding, and then something
> more delicate can be used to finish the job and sand away
> perpendicular scratches.

Random orbital sanders are often used in car body shops for paint
preparation - both in the in-between paint stages (keying the surface),
but also when polishing (obviously with a polishing mop, rather than a
sanding disc).

The key is the "Random" part - the path it moves in isn't circular or
linear, so you're less likely to have scratches in the same place (which
you'd notice on a car).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander has a description of
how it works.
--