[sdiy] New dsPIC chips with on-chip audio DACs

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 18:02:45 CET 2008

Veronica Merryfield wrote:
> The synergy uses a phase
> cancellation technique for amplitude control to avoid a multiply which
> could either be used or if this device has a quick multiply, that could
> be used

There's a single-cycle 16x16->32 multiply available (signed or
unsigned), and if your additive synthesis involves summing up lots of
waveforms there are two 40-bit MACs with options for truncation or
rounding on unload.

BTW - what's the output sample rate on the Synergy? That will have a
significant effect on the number of oscillators you can do. I've usually
run sample rates > 100kHz and can still get several interpolated
wavetable oscillators running simultaneously.

> (I'm still looking at the instruction set and it is more or less
> an instruction per cycle but pipelined - there are instructions that add
> a cycle or two of delay though so it might end up being nearer a 20MIPS
> processor with real code than the 40MIPS they quote).

Yes, branching and table lookup instructions take more than one cycle,
so the 40MIPS may be a bit optimistic. OTOH, when doing repetitive
computations like multiply-accumulate of several vectors there are
low-overhead repeat prefixes and auto-incrementing prefetches that allow
you to get a lot of stuff done simultaneously and keep the pipelines full.

Eric