[sdiy] New dsPIC chips with on-chip audio DACs

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 05:07:04 CET 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:

> In 2005/06 I did some intensive audio work on a project for a
> client, with a dsPIC30F6012.  I found it to be a very good device
> and was really happy with the complex stuff I could do in real-time,
> including some minimal reverb using on-chip RAM.
>
> These 33 series chips are faster.

Yes - the 30F-series parts run up to 28MIPS and the 33F parts will go
up to 40MIPS. The biggest difference I found is that the 33F ADC now
requires you to use DMA to sample more than 1 channel (the 30F ADC had
its own sample buffer) and the DMA engine takes a bit of thought to
set up. The upside is that since it runs from a 3.3V supply the power
dissipation is somewhat lower. Also, the in-circuit debug seems to
work better on the 33F series than it did on the older 30F parts.

> Is the 	dsPIC33FJ64GP802 really available in 28 pin DIP?

That's certainly the impression I get from their documentation. Time
will tell.

Eric