[sdiy] New dsPIC chips with on-chip audio DACs

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Fri Mar 28 03:47:21 CET 2008

In 2005/06 I did some intensive audio work on a project for a
client, with a dsPIC30F6012.  I found it to be a very good device
and was really happy with the complex stuff I could do in real-time,
including some minimal reverb using on-chip RAM.

I worked in assembler and got to know the innards of the chip very
well.  I interfaced it to a TI audio DAC with headphone amp, I guess
it was a Burr-Brown device - PCM1770:

  http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1770.html

These 33 series chips are faster.

Is the 	dsPIC33FJ64GP802 really available in 28 pin DIP?

The selector guide at microchip.com says "please call for package
information".  Searching for this at Mouser turns up a bunch of
things with Microchip part numbers ending in things I guess indicate
packaging:

  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-I/SO
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-I/SP
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-E/MM
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-E/SO
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-E/SP   1:  $9.60   25: $5.13  100: $5.00
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802-I/MM
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802T-I/SO
  dsPIC33FJ64GP802T-I/MM

Back at the Microchip site, I look at the details for the
dsPIC33FJ32MC202 which is in production, and is available in 28 pin
DIP.  It looks like "-E/SP" is DIP.

This is most promising!

  - Robin           http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/