[sdiy] Cap assortment?

harrybissell at wowway.com harrybissell at wowway.com
Wed Mar 26 14:33:33 CET 2008

I would buy the Xicon Polystyrene Capacitor assortment boxes from
Mouser. These come in two ranges, one in small pF values and the
larger in values up to .01uF. These would be excellent for high quality
uses like VCO, sample hold etc.

Then I would buy a number (1 bought 100's but you decide) of Mylar
(polyester) caps in maybe 50V, 5% values.  I started at .001uF and bought up
to .1uF.  I bought the green coloerd Xicon caps.  5% is good for most work.

I'd suggest something like
.001
.0022
.0033
.0047
.0068
.0082
and then repeat
.01
.022
up to .1uF

You can buy more values to fill in the gaps but these will fill almost all
synth needs (filters etc)

I also buy .1uF, 50V axial lead cermaics (X7R) as decoupling caps

By the time you reach .1uf you are likely to be running out of what
is practical in a film capacitor. I'd then choose non-polar electrolytics
at

1uF
4.7uF
10uF

beyond that you can buy normal electrolytics in whatever values you need.

Ceramic disk caps are not bad in lower values, most of them smaller than .001
are usually NPO anyway. Its the larer values that get really crappy.

H^) harry

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:21:56 -0700, synth junk wrote

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-lot-14-Jim-pack-MY-1-22-022-100-Capacitors-100v_W0QQitemZ290119379613QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4662QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem