AW: [sdiy] MIDI over Ethernet (was Microchip DSP kit $60 > AVR32)

Ullrich Peter Peter.Ullrich at kapsch.net
Tue Mar 25 16:45:49 CET 2008

>> One other aspect that I haven't yet seen mentioned is that Ethernet,
>> like MIDI, has electrical isolation on inputs - opto- isolator for
>> MIDI, transformer for Ethernet.  Even with Power-over- Ethernet you
>> still maintain the isolation between input and device via the switcher
>> magnetics.  Ethernet also adds isolation on the output as well just
>> for completeness.
>>
>> Unless you spend $$$ on special boxes you don't get isolation on USB,
>> so ground loops and noise-sharing via common grounds start to be a
>> problem again.
>
>Thanks Neil. If you combine the lack of isolation with the fact that
>you're probably connecting your USB MIDI to a computer with the usual
>atrocious switched-mode power supply, it seems like noise might be
>quite a problem.

Adding iCouplers from Analog Devices could help here.
Galvanic isolation up to 100Mbit/s - they work really fine!

But OK, they are not really cheap...

Ciao
Peter

--
Peter Ullrich I Hardware Engineer, Research & Development
Phone +43 (0)50 811 2265 I Mobile +43 (0)664 628 2265
eFax +43 (0)50 811 992265 I peter.ullrich at kapsch.net

Kapsch TrafficCom AG I Wagenseilgasse 1 I A-1120 Vienna I Austria
http://www.kapschtraffic.com/ I http://www.kapsch.net/
Registered at Commercial Court in Vienna FN223805a
Registered Office Vienna