[sdiy] Microchip DSP kit $60 > AVR32

Neil Johnson neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 24 11:11:59 CET 2008

Hi,

Eric Brombaugh wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Tom Farrand wrote:
>
>>  I'd love to do ARM projects but the GPL tools
>> seem difficult to use and I don't think they optimize code at all.
>
> I'd be interested to find out where you learned this. I've been
> using GCC on x86 an Sparc architectures for the last 15 years or so
> and the optimization is excellent. I've used it on ARM for a few
> years and it's always seemed adequate. As you pointed out though,
> the biggest disadvantage is that it setting up a toolchain from
> scratch can be a hugh PITA. On the other hand, there are a few free
> pre-built GCC toolchains like YAGARTO (www.yagarto.de) that have
> done most of the work for you.

I'll second that.  The GCC tools are industry-strength.
Pre-built packages for ARM-GCC for Win32/Linux can be gotten from
CodeSourcery -

	http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm

(they also do prepackaged GCC for ColdFire and PowerPC).  The 'free'
version is the plain, bare-metal command line tool set.  If you give
them money you seem to get a lot more (GUI, etc).

Otherwise, if you feel the need for a GUI then check out Eclipse and
the Zylin modifications to the CDT.  There are several resources out
there on using Eclipse for developing and debugging microcontroller
projects with GCC/GDB/Eclipse.

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk