[sdiy] cosmetic cleaning of synth surface

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Mon Mar 17 13:53:11 CET 2008

On 2008-03-17 12:37 +0100, Florian Anwander wrote:

> What I never did until now is a basic cleaning of the housing of
> such an old synth. The synths are optically without a scratch,
> but have the dirt of 30 years on them. [...] how do you clean
> stuff like this?

I usually start with "alcool à bruler" a.k.a denatured alcohol
(methanol). It gets rid of most things.

The glue used in labels and adhesive tape requires something like
"essence C", "essence F", white spirit etc. (petroleum spirits).

Grunge sometimes requires Ajax-style ammoniated household
cleanser, the kind you use on the stove and kitchen table.

If none of the above work, there's trichloroethylene and acetone
but those will melt most plastics and possibly some paints.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Do not use this account for regular correspondence.