[sdiy] DDS signal generator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 15 23:21:32 CET 2008

From: "JH." <jhaible at debitel.net>
Subject: [sdiy] DDS signal generator
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:31:35 +0100

Hi!

> I'm looking for an unexpensive signal generator with precise setting of the
> frequency (mainly for adjusting filter banks like my upcoming string filter,
> or maybe a vocoder)
>
> I know there are rather cheap chips and kits for something like that, but I
> want to have something readily built.
> (Use it for DIY, but don't DIY it. :) )
>
> I found this one:
>
> http://www.victorelectronics.at/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
>
> Is this any good?
> Does anybody have experience with that model?
>
> Or can you recommend something else?

Try pick up a HP 3325A or HP 3325B. A bit bulky but a lovely tool. There are
more modern variants from Agilent, but they may still be a bit pricey.

Happilly steps you from 1 uHz to 20,999,999.999,999 Hz in 1 uHz steps.

Has AM and PM.

Takes a standard 10 MHz reference if you feed it to it...

Cheers,
Magnus