[sdiy] Linearized Vactrol?

harrybissell at wowway.com harrybissell at wowway.com
Wed Mar 12 20:07:59 CET 2008

Hi Tom

Sounds like an interesating circuit. A technique for 'linearizing'
a photocell exists in National Semiconductor AN-20 "analog multiplier"

It needs matched cells as well, and is shown with an incandescent lamp
which really limits the response at very high resistances.

The best deal would be to use a vactrol that is center-tapped so that the
cell is at the same temperature, and reasonably well matched. Some
vactrols like the ones used in the Mutron III envelope follower have
two independant elements, this might be a good choice if available.

Vactrols are useful for many things at s-diy, even if they are slow. They
are reasonable quiet, have no voltage offset etc.

I'd like to see the spice model you have, btw.

If your circuit is really novel, submit it to EDN magazine as a 'design idea'
or Electronic Design magazine and get paid maybe $150 for it, and be famous.
It usually takes about 6 months for publishing. They will not take it if it
has been published (ir public domain) already...

H^) harry

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:27:44 -0500, Thomas P. Gootee wrote