SV: Re: SV: Re: [sdiy] audio microprocessors and C++

karl dalen dalenkarl at yahoo.se
Sun Mar 9 18:56:58 CET 2008

--- Veronica Merryfield <veronica.merryfield at shaw.ca> skrev:

> > If one looks closely at mobile phones each one has quite capable
> > synthesis engine, closed for the phone user off course but still
> > there are a vast amount of computing power in a regular phone.
>
> Indeed. Most have an ARM9 or better in them together with a
> significant DSP processor. Some have just a DSP and some have a second
> ARM core. Take a look at TI's OMAP range to get a good idea of what is
> in many phones. Intel XScale has ben used along with devices from
> Freescale. Also, Samsung have a couple of dev boards that are an
> almost ready to go phone solution.

Right, ARM cores are a bit of defacto standard in the mobile phone industry.
Some mentioned BGA and how many layers, well those are issues to.
Particularly number of layers.

> Whilst I would agree that the intel quad cores are pretty powerful
> beasts, they have a few draw backs.

I was referring to the *new* design they are doing for hand helds.

 I would rather see a mix, perhaps
> like the chameleon, where one CPU is used for IO and a DSP is used for
> the core audio work. DSPs tend to be good at the MACs in single cycles
> (although pipelined) and the associated memory access with better
> clock to power ratios, although I know general purpose processors are
> getting good at it. Also, dual and quad cores give you more CPU horse
> power, but without a corresponding upgrade to the memory pathways.

Multi cores are on its way, lets see if tool sets are going to handle them
well.