[sdiy] Interpreting four-pole-w-feedback circuits

Aaron Lanterman lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 6 21:02:15 CET 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Ian Fritz wrote:

> At 11:22 AM 3/6/2008, René Schmitz wrote:
>
>> It doesn't really matter if they are, if you have an even number of
>> them.
>
> I count the input transistor 64 as one of them, so I count five total.
>
> But, maybe I'm really missing something. Are we looking at the same
> patent? (4,011,466).

We're looking a different patents. ;)

The you refer to is the one with the Norton amps, and as far as I can
tell the patent does match up with the actual real ARP circuits that
it covers.

The one ARP patent I was referring to is 3,924,199 - and I can't find
any ARP products which actually use it. It's nearly identical to the
equivalent Rossum patent about OTA-C filter circuits. As far as I can
tell, the only difference is that Rossum runs the OTA output current
through a cap to ground, and then buffers the resulting voltage,
whereas the ARP patent runs the OTA output current through a cap in an
output feedback loop - which I wouldn't call very much of a
difference. ;)

- Aaron