[sdiy] Re: Power Supply PCB

mike ruberto somnium7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:28:23 CET 2008

Here is the preliminary schematic.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n13/somnium7/gear/LoNoiseRegulator_02.gif

As you can see, the PCB can be used alone as a basic power supply but
can be used as the core to a larger system.
I think of it more as a building block.

The part in green is the actual PCB circuitry. In yellow is a
schematic of how the diodes to set the output voltage may be combined
on the PCB. Obviously, unneeded positions can be jumpered or left
open. The zener diode can have another zener in parallel to further
lower the impedance. There is quite a bit of flexibility here to aid
in setting the correct voltage or achieving the desired impedance.

Voltage calculation is accomplished with this:
Vz + 1.25 + drop

Where Vz is the zener voltage. 1.25 is the LM317 reference and drop is
the combined drop of any LEDs or diodes in series with the zener.

I'll work up some more documentation if it is required. Getting late
for me now though so time for bed.

Mike