[sdiy] converting white noise to pink noise

Amos controlvoltage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:40:34 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM, John Mahoney <jmahoney at gate.net> wrote:
>  Aaaargh, it's the dreaded MM5837, again! Ah, well, it's fine for
>  testing purposes, it's just no good for making music.

I assume it's an LFSR with a very short word length?  Seems like a
modern micro with long words could implement a simple LFSR that sounds
fine.  Question is, is there an algorithm that would actually weight
the "noise" at the time of generation, to give pink noise output?  Or
is it better to make the whitest noise possible and use a passive
filter?