[sdiy] Function Generator ICs

neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com neil.johnson97 at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 21 17:18:06 CEST 2007

From: Scott Gravenhorst <music.maker at gte.net>

> BTW, I don't totally understand the "gate count" thing, I
> have the "500K gate" Spartan-3E (XC3S500E), oddly though,
> in my polysynth design, the ISE says the design represents
> 1,290,000 "equivalent" gates...

FPGA gate counts are the stuff of dreams.  Its almost impossible to relate to anything in the real world, other than as a marketing tool for FPGA vendors to compete against each other.  A better guide is percentage utilization to guide you when you're getting full.  If you're lucky you might get near 80%.

Neil