[sdiy] power bus decoupling (?) on a modular

Julian julian at 22host24.com
Wed Sep 19 15:17:39 CEST 2007

I think ive kind of asked this question before, but, it appears, am still
unsure -

I have a modular thats mainly made up of doepfer components.  The
interference between the modules is really quite poor (for example pitch
instabilities of a vco when placed on the same bus as an lfo)

I understand that they should be decoupled (is that the right term?) on the
modules, but, evidently, this isnt working as well as id desire.

The power busses on the system are just physical connectors.  No capacitors
etc. on them at all.

I have already increased the gauge of the ground bus (tinned copper wire
along the rear) and made sure it has good connection to the linear psu, but
it hasnt made a lot of difference.

I vaguely understand that the next step forward would be to have a couple of
large electrolytics on the bus, between the power rails and ground, at one
(why not both?) ends, and then smaller electrolytics or tantalums (which?)
between each module connector.

Is this the right way to go about this, and, if so, what values should i be
looking at?

Thanks, Julian

It has removed 13839 spam emails to date.