[sdiy] Function Generator ICs

Tim Parkhurst tim.parkhurst at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:47:57 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, Tom Arnold <xyzzy at sysabend.org> wrote:
> Is it my imagination or have all the Function Generator ICs been
> discontinued?
>
> ICL8038, gone.
> MAX038, gone. ( probably just Intersil 8038 dies anyway )
> XR8038A, gone.
> XR2206, gone.
> XR2209, gone.
>
> Looks like Rochester will be making ICL8038's eventually ( I bet they bought
> all Intersil's wafers ) but are there any others out there that I've missed?

Don't know if they're still in production or not, but here are some
suppliers (culled from various emails on the E-M forum):
**********
"This is a list of suppliers with the 8038 listed in stock. This is by
no means a complete list; it's a result of my check of my usual
suppliers:

Debco Electronics $7.99
http://www.debcoelectronics.com/

Abra Electronics $6.99
http://www.abra-electronics.com/ $6.99

Unicorn Electronics $3.49
http://www.unicornelectronics.com/IC/GENERATORS.html

Ocean State Electronics $7.95
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p81.htm

Futurlec (one type for $15.95, the other for $13.95)
http://www.futurlec.com/
**********
"I noticed today that Unicorn Electronics no longer has the Intersil
8038 available on their site. They do still have the XR-2206. I found
the XR-8038 at Electronics Surplus Inc.
http://electronicsurplus.com
for $1.95 each so I ordered a handful. Their website shows about 256
left in stock. They also have about 100 of the XR-2206 at $7.95.
Unicorn is still cheaper for the 2206 at $2.99 each for less than 25.
Oh, and as a side note, Electronics Surplus has a few thousand of the
2SA798 dual PNP transistor for only $.45 per. Just thought folks might
like to know.

Arcadechips.com has the 566 for $8.50 each or $7.00/ea for 5+.
If you'd like to try the TI LM566 then search for this eBay item
number: 230159069368. $39.99 for a lot of 10.

So hopefully this is some useful info.

Tim (hopefully useful) Servo
--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein