[sdiy] Function Generator ICs

Bob Weigel sounddoctorin at imt.net
Wed Sep 19 12:22:25 CEST 2007

I think about the only people on earth who want real VCO's are analog
synth designers and of course those aren't the industry's direction with
what..one fairly significant real analog polysynth in the last decade
maybe?  :-)   Other than the esoteric qualities heard by the amazing ear
in attack responses and the beauty of slight variations working together
in a polysynth and other subtleties like pulse width instabilities
etc... digital oscillators are superior in every application pretty
much...and much much cheaper of course.  Well there are probably some
applications where smooth frequency sweeps are desireable. But hi-res
digital has become acceptable.  In like a frequency sweep generator,
it's preferred to have precise/predictable operation over absolutely
continuous sweep usually.

So yeah I'm sure demand for these products has just steadily dropped off
to where everyone figured there are better things to do with their
facilities. -Bob

A pic