Maplin Re: [sdiy] Force Sensing Resistor

Edward King edwardcking2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 02:59:15 CEST 2007

I agree that they seemed to go through a self-destructive phase, but they
seem to have turned that around somewhat. Last time I was in the uk
(admittedly nearly a year ago now) I saw lots of weird and wacky things
there (like electronic drum kits, audio effects chips etc).
As far as I could tell, they still sell a fair amount of what they used to,
but now in kit form, along with the velleman kits which - love em or hate
em - do a good job of making certain devices available to DIY'ers and the
financially challenged and for the most part seem to be good quality for
what they are.

I just know that given the choice between driving a couple of hours to the
trade desk of one of the others (cant remember whether it was farnell, rapid
or rs) or a quick stroll into town to maplins, I went with the stroll!

Given what they're competing with, I dont think theyre doing too badly.

EK