[sdiy] Solina - high output or low output?

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Tue Sep 4 07:16:35 CEST 2007

   > From: "JH." <jhaible at debitel.net>
   > Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 20:04:02 +0200
   >
   > And then there is the "Low" output:
   >
   > Derived from the High output signal, there is 20dB attenuation at 3.5kHz
   > (relative to low and high range), but what is stunning is *how* this is
   > created: There is a steep 4-pole (!) LPF at 1kHz, and a 2-pole HPF at 18kHz.
   >
   > It looks like the intention to make the signal very dark, and
   > then to add a shimmer of brilliance again.

Hey JH,

I've never played a Solina, but I have a suggestion...

The high level output signal is intended for PA or recording with a
line level mixer, while the low level output is for the situation
where the musician has to plug directly into a guitar amplifier.

Guitar amplifiers, and by that I mean something like a Fender Twin or
a Marshall stack, have a very different sound than hifi or PA
amplifiers.  For one thing guitar amps have no tweeters.  And the
cabinet has a boxy resonance and not much low end below that.  And the
unlike hifi tone controls, guitar amp tone controls have a really wide
range of sounds, no flat response setting, and they're tweaked to be
be resonant and sound good with electric guitars.

So I'm guessing that the crazy EQ is designed to compensate for the
guitar amp's response.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman