[sdiy] broken korg polysix

Tom Arnold xyzzy at sysabend.org
Thu Jan 5 20:25:10 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:43:04AM -0500, Greg Brickey wrote:
> A friend gave me broken polysix, apparently it was dropped hard and stopped working. Despite the drop, I assumed the battery leak issue had something to do with it not working, since my friend didn't even know there was a battery. However, after opening it up I discovered it was serviced in 1994 and there is a new battery and no corrosion damage. The battery is probably dead by now but not leaking. Can someone point me in the right direction as to which board may be the source of the problem before I just dive in. Only one led works after it was dropped, the far left one by the octave knob. No sound at all, although there is a nice amplified pop when the power is turned on or off.

The Old Crow has the schematics up on his site :
http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/

If the battery board looks okay I'd definatly still do his battery mod and
put in a lithium button cell, dont forget that diode or it'll explode.

There are lots of connectors in the polysix going between boards.  I'd
reseat all of them and also all socketed ICs.  The next thing I'd check
after a fall is anything heavy, otherwise known as the power transformer.
Make sure it didnt come loose and wax something.  I cant remember off the
top of my head if the polysix transformer is mounted on the same bracket as
the power supply board, I dont think it is, but thats a common fall problem
too... a unit falls and the transformer bends the bracket breaking or
shorting the power supply board.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions too.   Perhaps after you've looked all
the connectors over you should make sure the power supply is fully working,
then maybe pop the boards out and look for cracks.

 - Tom Arnold       -  Free Synth DIY webspace http://www.sdiy.org
 - SynthGeek        -
 - BBD Fanatic      -  "...is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?"
 - echo evho wjxo   -    Juanita Shrugs. "What's the difference?"