[sdiy] 2600 op-amp question

KA4HJH ka4hjh at gte.net
Sun May 27 10:31:53 CEST 2001

>I disagree with grichter somewhat on his view of modifying classic
>instruments... of course removing beloved features or qualities is not the
>desired outcome.  It is true that visibly modifying them can reduce value,
>but i bet no one will complain if the noise floor is reduced by 6db.  The
>reverb in a 2600 hisses like an angry dragon, and there are several things
>you can do about that.  All the better.

If the buyer is going to use it, yes. But if you're dealing with a
"collector" (in the antique-trade sense) what they specifically want is
*stock*, as close to *mint* condition as they can possibly get it.
Literally "the day it left the factory" condition. If you've seen some of
the prices on ebay recently there's no doubt that this point is being
reached.

On the other hand you can say "screw the speculators/collectors" if you
want. It's your synth. One of the things I love about the SEM-based
Oberheims is that everything is brought out to jacks for you. Easy to put
back into original condition in a jiffy (except for that linear detuning
mod). Now if only I could find that missing knob cap on the
mini-sequencer...

--
Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"