[sdiy] ground & power on pad-per-hole solder breadboard

Happy Harry paia2720 at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 19:50:04 CEST 2001

Lalala.... ;^P

Sometimes, yes... sometimes... no.

If the total voltage drop across ground is the problem, then
the more wires the better... approaching a ground plane.

If the ground is affecting a sensitive circuit... then more wires
may make the problem worse.

Its best to plan the grounds so that dirty power (high current and not
sensitive) has one path that it MUST take to ground... and the clean power
has a separate path that it MUST take to ground.

Think of a sewer system... by using separate pipes, you can be sure
that the shit flows only through one pipe, and the rainwater through
another. Ultimately... they will all dump into the lowest common point,
usually the ground side of the main filter cap.

If you cross the pipes, everything dumps into everything else... but the
total system can carry more overall load.

H^)  harry

Ron Mancini (Electronic Design or EDN i forget...) has had some good
columns on grounding issues. See if they are available on line...?