[sdiy] PCBs from printouts

jbv jbv.silences at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 29 00:17:46 CEST 2001

Hi there,

I'm a bit late on this thread, but here's an advice that I think can be
of some use (AFAIR I already posted it a year ago, so it should be
in the archives).

If your PCBs are on paper only, then scan the images into your PC.
Remove all scan imperfections in a draw software such as Photoshop,
and increase the resolution to 300 dpi (at least - 600 dpi is even better).

And here comes the trick : instead of a laser printer, raster your files
on a professional Lynotype (or Scitex, or similar gear). Such gear is
available at many companies that raster files from DTP companies used
in prof. printing (magazines, posters...).
Such companies are widespread now, and prices have dropped : here in
France (where everything is more expensive than anywhere else in the
universe), you can get an A4 size film (on which you can squeeze 2
eurocard boards) for less than $8. Prices drop even more for large
quantities (10 films or more), and I'm sure than such services are available
through the net.

The film you'll get is of prof. quality with terrific solid blacks.
Then you can visit your local board shop to have your boards made from
the film. I've done it many times with the small local components shop
who occasionally does boards for his customers.

If the original PCB design is of high quality (like in magazines such
as Elektor), the final board you'll get will be near-perfect (closed to
industry standards).

Last but not least : you can re-use the film almost as many times as
you want...

JB