can you reccomend a solder station?

Harry Bissell harrybissell at prodigy.net
Sat Jul 22 20:23:31 CEST 2000

I use and old Ungar "Imperial".  No control at all. About 40W.  I have an old
stand
and use a triac dimmer circuit to put it in "idle" when I'm leaving the bench
for a while.
I guess I'm just used to that. The tip is about a 1/8 chisel. I would not
recommend this
for SMT but it works (for me) otherwise. I have been soldering with this rig
for about
30 years... if practice counts for anything....

I'd recommend that you  buy a very available model, from a stable
manufacturer. And
that you buy a LIFETIME worth of tips.  Buy 20 or so. These days, the tips and
the
manufacturer will be long gone before your station wears out !!!  So beware. I
still have
a spare element for my imperial, a spare cord and about 6 tips left... so I'm
flust for another 10 years or so (big 1/8" tips do not wear out very
fast......)

H^)  harry (my opinion only !!!)