kraftwerk sound (klang)

CHoaglin at aol.com CHoaglin at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 19:54:11 CEST 2000

>Basically  it is a DecTalk speech synthesizer.  Comes >in many different
>packages, big box, small box, long isa card, short isa >card.  All are
>starting to get harder to find because of ssil >drivers.  Used mostly by
>the blind, Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

I've got a DecTalk box, the DTC01 (the same case a VT240 terminal's brains come in), but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it. I was under the impression you just fed it ASCII from the serial port and it talked. Is that correct? I was thinking it had to be more than just that in order to be able to control the characteristics of the voice. If there are PC drivers, that would be a big help to me, since right now the only software I have for it is on a 9-track tape, and is designed to run it under RSX-11 on my PDP-11.

Chris Hoaglin