Compensating multi-stage feedback (was: RE: all tranny vca+ )

Martin Czech czech at Micronas.Com
Mon Jul 3 11:41:57 CEST 2000

I think we have to decide between distortion and intermodulation.
Distortion of a sine wave is pretty good audible, you don't need much
harmonic energy, and it is easy to hear a third harmonic at -60dB
or so. In this respect Harry is right: speakers and enclosures are
responsible for most of the distortion. With a single sine wave it
is not so unpleasant, because it's harmonics....

Another thing is intermodulation, this is really rough, just take two
sines and sweep one of them through frequency. The intermodulation sounds
so bad (or interesting) because it is not harmonically related to your
music input most of the time, really nasty. This is very easy to spot
in a signal, no "golden ears" needed.

m.c.