PCB success!

jorgen.bergfors at idg.se jorgen.bergfors at idg.se
Fri Sep 25 17:11:02 CEST 1998

>Hi Jorgen,

>Congrats on your success!

Thank you!

At 11:11 AM 9/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
>>Hi DIYers!
>>
>>Yesterday evening I managed to etch almost perfect circuit boards of
my own
>>design, at home in the kitchen.
>>I have found a method that seems to give almost professional results
every
time.

 >>I buy the boards pre-coated with positive photo resist (www.elfa.se).

>For those of us who have never worked with photo-etch boards, could you
>describe briefly the handling requirements with respect to ambient
>light?

>I assume they're not as sensitive as photographic film, but what
>precautions do you take to avoid ruining the material?

>Bill Layer, member

>The International Brotherhood of Jazz Dancers, Pastry Chefs and Nuclear
>Technicians

Don't take them out in the sun, after you removed the protective film! That's
about it.
I expose the boards in the hall, where there isn't any windows. Well, I usually
work on this in the evenings when it's fairly dark outside, so I suppose it
doesn't matter. The light from ordinary lamps is no problem as long as you
remove the protective layer not too long before you are going to expose the
board. But you shouldn't do that anyway, so you scratch it, or put fingerprints
on it.
Well, the conclusion is that you can work in normal indoor light without any
problem. I would say scratches and fingerprints would be a more likely problem
if you were careless. Not that it is very sensitive to those either.

Good luck

/Jorgen