Evil sampler?

Christian Hofmann chris at scp.de
Mon Sep 21 14:14:47 CEST 1998

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 03:00:23 -0600
mark verbos <verbos at on-q.com> wrote:

> Ingo Debus wrote:
>
> > Christian Hofmann wrote:
> > > Of course we all know that the sampler is evil ;-)
> >
> > I do see the ;-) but I don't get the point. Why is a sampler evil?
> > We have been talking about Hammonds, Leslies, tape echoes and other
> > non-synthesizers and it was all very interesting (at least to me).
> > I have a lot of fun creating sounds with my sampler. For instance, I
> > tried to make a pitch-bend controlled Shepard tone with it, since none
> > of my synthesizers allow volume to be controlled by MIDI pitch bend
> > messages (didn't work too well, though).
> >
> > BTW, Steve Reich uses samplers but not synthesizers because in his
> > opinion all synthesizer sounds stink. ;-)
> >

> who ever said that just because you like analog synthesizers, you cannot
> like digital machines (samplers for instance)? This is a sorta dumb
> argument, isn't it?

Hmm. It's funny that anyone can take a phrase like that serious :-)
It wasn't intented as an argument at all. And the 'dumb' part, well,
that might be true... <grin>

Actually, I'm not biased to a single direction, that's why I use all
kinds of instruments - analogs, digital synths, a sampler, and
occasionally even a Fender Precision Bass.

What I meant: DIY generally is devoted to analog stuff, and there _are_
a couple of fans of analog synths, who dislike digital machines - and
particularly those that don't (necessarily) synthesize any sounds, but
just replay samples.

I hope this hasn't been the birth of some religious bashing...
cu
Christian