PAiA vocoder - was NE570 book from MAP

J. Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Sat Sep 19 18:59:51 CEST 1998

Although the original design is a good one, I would highly recommend that
anyone considering this design implement the modifications suggested by
Scott Lee of PAiA.  I built one of these without mods and then later
installed the modifications (consisting of 4 chips with op amps and a few
resistor changes).  In my opinion, the changes make this a better design.
I still find the best method to get the most realistic vocal sounds out of
this machine is to run the modulating signal (vocals) through a graphic EQ
before the input of the vocoder.  Tweaking of the graphic EQ and levels is
the key to good performance of this machine (and most vocoders).
Kudos to Scott for his mods to this already fine machine at such a
reasonable price.
Larry Hendry