Harmonics question

Scott Gravenhorst chordman at flash.net
Mon May 25 19:12:59 CEST 1998

On Wed, 20 May 1998 10:42:31 -0400, dean stiglitz <deknow at tiac.net>
wrote:

>with a square wave, you get almost exclusively odd harmonics (fund, 3rd, 5th, 7th,
>etc...those are harmonic #'s, not scale tones)....they are not just in octaves,
>more like root, 5th, 3rd, etc.

I wrote a program in VB5 that has sliders for 9 sine waves (phase and
amplitude)  The program displays graphically the waveform that would
result from combining those 9 sine waves.  The sinewave frequencies
are set at 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F ... 9F to comply with Fourier.

It's really very cute and shows what happens in additive synthesis.
It gets very close to a square wave when all odd waves are used at the
correct amplitudes.

-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- FatMan Site: www.teklab.com/~chordman