DCB switch box

J. Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Fri May 22 06:18:50 CEST 1998

> >JLCooper Electronics has a number of solutions to the dilemna with which
> >you are faced. Unfortunately, I don't know of a website address, a phone
> >number, or a mailing address; all I know is that I have a switchbox made
by
> >them (3 ins, 8 outs) which works great.
>
> I had already answered this in private email -- I don't think this would
> take more than a box, a few jacks and a rotary switch.  Anyway, I don't
> know of any JLCooper DCB products but . . .

Another option would be to buy one of those under $10  4-to-1 printer
switch boxes that have 25 pole rotary switches already installed and wired
and change the connectors on the back to the 14 pin centronics used by the
DCB cables.  Or, if you were going to need new cables with the addition of
the switcher, just make 3 special cables with 14 pin centronics on one end
and 25 sub D on the other.  Or buy cheaper printer cables cut one end off
and connect the wires to the 14 pin centronics.  Hmm... now where did I out
the pin out data for my DCB cables.  I'll look for it unless someone else
has it handy.  I do remember it uses only 4 wires I think: TX, RX, busy,
and ??.  And I remember it is not a straight pin to pin wiring.  Since it
is a bi-directional cables, the TX and RX need to be rolled in the cable so
the TX and RX on each end are in the correct pin position.

Oh and THANKS again to Kevin Lightner for pointing out to me that the
occasional stray notes from my Roland MD-8 MIDI/DCB converter were caused
by the small capacitors on the DCB connector.  I've had no problems since I
removed those.

Larry Hendry