Rosin Flux Removal

Magnus Danielson magnus at analogue.org
Sat May 9 01:57:08 CEST 1998

>>>>> "m" == media  <media at mail1.nai.net> writes:

 m> I'll get on the capacitor thing later tonight.

 m> Anyway, since I'm going to do quite a bit of soldering in the week or so,
 m> and remembering the "flux related incident" that I had with my Six Trak and
 m> problems reported with flux left on ASM-1 PCB's, I thought I'd stop by my
 m> local Radio Shack and pick up some flux remover.

 m> I didn't buy it.  It was $15.95 for a 2.75 OZ can.  I have no idea what is
 m> in flux remover but that seemed awfully expensive for such a tiny can!!

 m> So these are my questions:  What is in rosin flux remover??  I have quite a
 m> few chemical solvents here, and I doubt it is something all that rare.

 m> Further, what is in rosin flux??  If I can't find a chemical that I already
 m> have that is in flux remover, maybe I can use my knowledge of chemistry to
 m> figure out another solvent I can use.

Well, my can sais that it contains Metoxi propanol and Isopropanol and
some naftalene CH's (this is translated from Swedish and my English is
teribel when it comes chemicals).

Isopropanol is quite usefull all by itself for this usage. A friend of
mine used to have a special isopropanol bath prepared for card. It was
carefully arranged so that not too much fumes would escape... he had
aranged it so that the card would not lay down on the bottom, but
rather would be above, so that the resolved flux would land on the bottom.

Isopropanol is quite unhealthy and is listed as being cancerogenic.

This day a new number of a Swedish electronics paper came, it had an
article about how isocyanates would be emitted from the laquier of
PCBs when heated by the soldering process. A company had found how
this caused headackes and similar troubles for their staff. They
reacted by stopping the production and within 10 weeks they had
installed a new ventilation system with selfdesigned fume cupboards
and a propper air filter. The lab that got this treatment will change
the air 6 times each hour. The staff don't experince the same troubles
anymore.

The car industry has had the same kind of trouble and recent advances
in measuring air has made it possible to actually find the isocyanates
when the exist, earlier measurement methods where inaccurate on this.

So, don't sniff too much on your PCBs :)

 m> Since I got several MSEE's to answer the AC coupling questions, maybe I can
 m> get a chemist to answer these :)

 m> Otoh, answers like "I've always used a mix of pineapple juice and gasoline
 m> and that always worked fine,"  are perfectly acceptable :)

AIGH! My trade secret has gotten out!!!!

Cheers,
Magnus