data books, PMI

Scott Bernardi scott.bernardi at fritz.com
Mon May 4 18:21:40 CEST 1998

Interesting you should mention PMI. I worked for PMI 1978-1982 as a design
engineer, so I've got a databook from that period. I built my modular synth
when I was at PMI.
PMI was bought out by Analog Devices, and the old PMI plant in Santa Clara
is still there, except the sign says Analog Devices now. The Analog Devices
website lists most of the devices offered by PMI, with datasheets.
Ever hear of the OP-27 (low noise, high speed, hi preceision opamp)? I was
a co-designer on that, and the metal mask still has my initials on it. I
use OP-27's instead of 741's because I had 150 or so of them from a
pre-production run (only about 50 left).

At 09:19 AM 5/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> I guess that is why I came in this morning and found that someone who was
>> cleaning out their bookshelf had left me some data books that were no
longer
>> needed.
>> eg, National Semiconductor 1982 linear databook.
>>
>> Are books of this vintage worth keeping?
>
>   Definately!  Sometimes you may run across chips that have been out of
>production for years.  And the only way to identify them and dare I say
>_use_ them is to have the data books!  One thing to remember though,
>often times, what you find in one year's book will be in the next 8
>books.  Chip lines really don't change too frequently.
>   And really, the best databooks are the ones for companies that don't
>exist anymore.  Old PMI databooks are a good example of this.  At work I
>keep a whole bunch of old databooks around.  Good reading if nothing
>else.
>
>   Tony
>
>------------------------------------,----------------------------------
>I can't drive (my Moog) 55!         |     The E-Music DIY Archive
>Tony Clark -- clark at andrews.edu     | aupe.phys.andrews.edu/diy_archive
>http://aupe.phys.andrews.edu/~clark |     Contributions welcomed!

Scott Bernardi
voice: 415-538-0439 (note new number)