LDR ideas

Toby Paddock tpaddock at seanet.com
Mon May 4 07:24:48 CEST 1998

On Monday, April 27, 1998 Don Tillman said:

>I guess actual flames would be the best light source for an LDR-based
>interface. <...>

Yep, a candle & LDR makes a great wobbley LFO.
For a more complex and subtle waveform, just add more candles.

Plug a LDR into the pedal-in of an Odyssey.
Set pedal-in to FM VCO2.
Tune VCO1 & 2 close to each other at as high a freq as you can.
Set for ring mod.  Open VCA and VCF to taste.
As the candle flame bounces, it gives a nice uncontrolled thereminish effect.
Add tape echo and it's "Instant 60's sci-fi soundtrack for under a dollar".

One thing I've thought about, but not tried, is using a
speaker -> candle -> light sensor
in some sort of feedback path.
Or, instead of feedback, as a distortion "circuit".
Would air vibrating at audio freq affect a flame enough to see with a light sensor?
A LDR would probably be too slow for audio.
Sorry for rambling...

Hoping this finds you,
Toby Paddock
http://www.seanet.com/~tpaddock