AW: Midi Hammond

Bill Layer b.layer at vikingelectronics.com
Wed Jul 22 18:55:14 CEST 1998

At 12:30 PM 7/22/98 +0200, you wrote:

>	>The individual harmonics are
>	>not progressive as the note is pressed; they all contact at roughly
>the same
>	>time.

What?

>Hmm, I don't own a Hammond, but I used to own a Farfisa, which also
>had a lot of separate contacts under each key. And at least here,
>with this VIP 345, it made a great difference how fast you played
>the keys. Depressing a key slowly, one could clearly hear the harmonics
>come in one by one. While this is not exactly your standard playing
>style, it still demonstrates that you *can* phrase individual notes
>differently.

I must agree. I'm no Hammond expert, but I was under the impression (from
my Hammond-palying friends) that the ability to control note phrasing with
key pressure is a major feature of the Hammond tone wheel series. On my
humble M-3, I can very deliberately control the fullness of voice by
playing gently or firmly. This is especially apparent when using the
percussion voice.

My simple concept for controlling fullness with the MIDI 'initial key
pressure' message involves direct corrolation/quantization of the pressure
value to the number of harmonics to be included in the note. A hard
keypress would fold in all harmonics, while a moderate keypress would fold
in fewer harmonics, and a light touch might deliver only the fundamental etc..

Seems like it could work.

------------------------------
Bill Layer
Sales Technician