AW: motorised pots

Haible Juergen Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de
Wed Jul 15 11:08:20 CEST 1998

	>I can get some twin 10k ones but 1. they look pretty cheapo and
	>2. they take 10 seconds to travel around! which makes them useless
	>for the effects processor I am designing.
	>I was hoping to have the pots rotate to the appropriate positions
	>when a patch is called up from memory. I notice that even the
latest
	>Yamaha guitar amps have 96 memories and rotating knobs!!!!!

Personally, I could even live with all motorized potentiometers
of a synth travelling to their new positions one by one, saving
power and taking even more time. Must look very cool,
a "ghost finger" wandering from one knob to the next, until
all are set. Not good for switching a guitar amp from rhythm to
lead, but might give "morphing" a new meaning.

If you find a good (analogue) control circuit, please tell me.
An opamp that compares the set voltage with the momentary
potentiometer voltage, and thus drives the motor forward and backward,
would be all that's needed. But designing the right time constant, and
probably a little tolerance window where the motor doesn't move,
might be some amount of work.

JH.