question about audio OP amp

Andrew Schrock aschrock at cs.brandeis.edu
Fri Jul 10 01:26:18 CEST 1998

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Scott Bernardi wrote:
> Depending on what voltage levels you are driving to, a 741 can give you
> distortion because of slew rate limiting (0.5v/usec slew rate). An opamp
> needs about 1.5v/usec to run to 20khz at +/10v levels. All of the TL-
> opamps are FET based, which have higher slew rates.

Am I mistaken, or do some people claim they can hear the difference
between 741's and other more modern opamps and prefer the sound of the
741's? I've heard this mentioned before... Any evidence to back this claim
up?

Andrew

| Andrew Schrock							|
| Network Programmer, Synthesizer and electronic music enthusiast	|
| aschrock at cs.brandeis.edu						|