LM566, IC8038, Fatman CVs

Scott Bernardi scott.bernardi at fritz.com
Thu Jul 9 18:05:01 CEST 1998

The 8038 is the Intersil/Harris chip, and I have yet to hear of anyone that
has successfully built a musical VCO with it. It requires matched current
sources (ie, pnp's)  to drive it. I tried to breadboard just a function
generator circuit using it, and couldn't get it to work right.
The XR2206 driven by an exponential current sink (ie, npn's) is a much
better way to go.

At 08:38 AM 7/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I once mentioned the possibility in (one of the periodic) "ICL8038 as VCO"
>>threads here.
>>I think it would work in a very similar way.
>>
>Is this the Harris IC8038 - VCO chip with sine, tri, pulse? I've been given
>a couple by one of our engineers, he thought they would be great for emusic
>apps. I was planning to use one possibly as a VC/LFO for the tube synth.
>
>Another subject: The FatMan produces V/Hz pitch CV output. This is
>necessary as it's VCO's are essentially just linear response
>voltage-to-current converters (current sourcing a relaxation oscillator).
>Log CV is required for tempered pitch.
>
>------------------------------
>Bill Layer
>Sales Technician