ETI-5600 Q's

Jim Johnson jamos at technotoys.com
Wed Jul 1 17:28:57 CEST 1998

>Jim, I can't recommend the ETI ckts..
>they just 'look wrong' too.. not many success stories in this field.
>Really, you'd be much better using more recent ckts from the net eg from
>Tomg. And, there are plenty of mixer ckts out there.
>I have a (non-working) ETI sequencer, and have seen ones that do work.
>It's just a standard ring thing with leds and pots, nothing flash.
>The fact that the boards are available, while a minor miracle, is not
>justification enough in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips. This brings me to a bit of a soap-box point, however -
while there may be a ton of schematics out there, there are damn few
circuit boards available for anything - the ASM-1 is of course the notable
exception. I'm leery of building stuff on protoboard (maybe I shouldn't be,
but the crappy results I got when trying to build a vocoder many years ago
left a bad taste in my mouth.)

I think it's fantastic that people like Tomg and Juergen Haible are giving
their circuit designs to the world.. but given the difficulty of a)
building (good-looking) front panels and b) hand-wiring (reliable, clean)
circuits, I despair of ever having my own Interpolating Scanner.

But then again - a mixer ain't rocket science. So maybe, after my life
settles down (long story) and I get an ASM-1 under my belt, I'll try
hand-wiring some simple circuits and see how they work out.

And I was not impressed with the ETI sequencer - as you said, pretty
standard. I guess after working with Seq-303 for so long, I expect a little
more out of an analog sequencer .. :')

Jim Johnson
Metaphoric Software
Makers of Techno Toys