D-50 (was: Re: OVERRIDING M.I.D.I.)

Haible_Juergen#Tel2743 HJ2743 at denbgm3xm.scnn1.msmgate.m30x.nbg.scn.de
Thu Jan 30 20:25:00 CET 1997

> > Bingo!  Most analog polysynths are woefully underpowered (and some
> > digital, like the D50/D550, where the LFOs slow down under heavy MIDI
> > load!).

Hey, that's a feature !
And this is not *only* a joke. Sure I too hated the slow response of
the D-50 to the keyboard. (The D-70 was *much* worse, btw, and later
versions of stock D-50's were faster than early ones, btw.)
But LFO speed slowing down with heavy playing - what a wonderful
idea! ( an on/off switch for this feature would be nice ...)
Mabe this is one reason why the D50 sounds increadible
warm for a digital synth ???
Reminds me of something I was told by a professional church
organist: a Pipe organ drops in pitch when it is played heavily
(i.e. many valves open, air pressure decreasing ...) Now think
of slight pitch variations and the long delays of a cathedral's
acoustic - nice chorus effect.
BTW, if memory serves the Waldorf Wave (the modern one)
has the number of keys played as a modulation source.

JH.