OVERRIDING M.I.D.I.

Tony Clark clark at andrews.edu
Wed Jan 29 16:05:03 CET 1997

> The bandwidth problems of MIDI were known from day 1.   Continuous
> controller and sysex data just compounded the problem.  Nowadays everyone
> wants their sounds to be continuously changing, whereas in the olden-days
> little more than key-on/off information was required.
>
> To 'override' MIDI would make no sense with commercial instruments -
> you'd need to design an entire new interface.
>
> The standard solution is to parallelize where possible - i.e. get a
> multi-output MIDI box on your sequencer/computer and run one cord to each
> instrument/effect - do not daisy-chain them.  Of course, this will not
> solve the problem of sending too much continuous controller data to one
> instrument.

   This would be a better solution.  I'm very surprized that no one has
come up with this solution, but I think it'd work wonders and still be
backwards compatible:  Why not use an 8 or 9 pin DIN plug instead of a
5-pin?  The extra pins could be used to send data in parallel to the main
MIDI line.  Interfacing with old MIDI gear would be a snap.  Just use a
5-pin DIN cable.  For new devices, use the 8 or 9 pin version.  I'll let
someone else come up with a better protocol.  :)
   Personally, I think this solution falls under the "duh" category.

   Tony

I can't drive (my Moog) 55!
Tony Clark -- clark at andrews.edu
http://www.andrews.edu/~clark