Screenprinting

chrisc at metrics.co.uk chrisc at metrics.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:07:22 CET 1997

Hi guys,
     I've found a way of getting panels screenprinted really cheaply. I
don't know about the rest of the planet, but in Britain you get a fair
number of art/craft co-operatives. Our local one in Oxford has a print shop.
It costs about twenty UKP for a months membership which gets you a couple of
three-four hour sessions a week. there are other rates for hourly access and
longer memberships too. But you have access to all the gear and
advice/instruction you need. You have to either pay for ink or bring it
yourself (you could do a big Moog 3P for a fivers worth of ink though) and
the screens and photo-sensitive stuff for the screen will cost you about 3
UKP a screen. But that's it, I reckon I'll be able to do the fifty or so
panels I'm having made for about a pound each for the screen-printing.
getting it done commercially will cost you about that for each design (I've
got about twelve different panel designs to do ) just as a set-up charge,
and then the printing comes on top of that. They reckon it'll take about an
hour to prepare a screen to print, but a matter of minutes to do say ten
panels in the design once it's done. I'm going to look at buying my own
screens so that I can keep the designs and do it at home as well. The other
thing they've got at the print co-op is a UV box about the size of a Mini.
The car, not the synth BTW. You could probably do a Memorymoog on one board
in that thing, and it's given me ideas about doing a poly-synth, as I could
get tons of stuff onto one 14 inch by 10 inch board , and string the control
interface on with 50w IDC connectors. It'll have to wait while I'm doing
other things, but I know where the gear to do it is now....
     One last thing, and it's off-topic I know, and I apologise. Does anyone
know where I can get an Atari editor/librarian for a Obie Matrix-6 from.
I've just swapped my Mono-Poly for one, and although I've got 1100 sounds
for it they're all in 100 sound SYSEX.MID banks. I can squirt them in from
Cubase, but I have no control. programming it from the front-panel is
possible, but it's a pain, and it's hard to keep in your head what the
Mod-matrix is doing etc. Website is easiest, or FTP or postage (I'll pay) or
even buy a commercial one like Dr T's editor.....
chrisc