building modular, need schematics, etc

Bert Schiettecatte Bert.Schiettecatte at hookon.be
Sun Jan 12 09:30:36 CET 1997

> 2) Where can a mere-mortal buy CEM, SSM chips or should I stay away
> from them due to hard-to-get-ishness?

from Onchip ... don't do it ... there are allready enough CEM synths
around ...

micon chip dist.
hoftannenstr. 28
63637 Jossgrund
Germany

> 3) Are there public-domain schematics that are descrete (opamps,
> r,c,q,etc) and/or CEM/SSM based?

there are enough schematics around, the problem is that most
sound the same....

> 4) Are most people using 1/4" jacks for audio & control, or bannana
> jacks for cv, or what?  Is 3.5mm same as 1/8"?

don't use banana jacks ... use standard walkman headphone jacks.

> 5) Any benefit of shielding cv cables?  Can audio patch cables be
> unshielded?

shielding is allways better than unshielding ....

> 6) When using 1/4" jacks for cv, don't you short the cv to ground at
> every insert?  I guess this is acceptable?

you don't have to worry about that...

> 7) I've seen several CV levels used 0-5,-5-+5,0-10, etc.  What's
> good/common here?

0-5 is the cv pitch range...
-5 and +5 might be a signal (output of oscillator) like a sine
which has a positive and negative part
0-10 is a gate/trigger

> 8) What do the modular moogs use for jacks, cv levels?

no idea

> 9) Are schematics (books, mags) available for the Formant system?

Elektor published the complete formant, but you'll have to do some
searching to find the mags ...

> 10) Is there a source for raw keyboards (no case) ?  Prefer to buy
> straight from a manufacturer, not surplus.

fatar sells keyboards .... or you could ask Roland Benelux ...

> 100) Is this enough questions?

yes!;)

bye

bert