building modular, need schematics, etc

Roger Arrick rarrick at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 12 07:04:48 CET 1997

I'm starting to prepare for building a modular synth and have the
following questions.

1) Exactly where can a person get ordering information for the ASM-1
stuff.  I've found data at:
http://www.it.kth.se/~e93_mda/synths/companies/stopp/
but no ordering/pricing info.  Front panels?

2) Where can a mere-mortal buy CEM, SSM chips or should I stay away
from them due to hard-to-get-ishness?

3) Are there public-domain schematics that are descrete (opamps,
r,c,q,etc) and/or CEM/SSM based?

4) Are most people using 1/4" jacks for audio & control, or bannana
jacks for cv, or what?  Is 3.5mm same as 1/8"?

5) Any benefit of shielding cv cables?  Can audio patch cables be
unshielded?

6) When using 1/4" jacks for cv, don't you short the cv to ground at
every insert?  I guess this is acceptable?

7) I've seen several CV levels used 0-5,-5-+5,0-10, etc.  What's
good/common here?

8) What do the modular moogs use for jacks, cv levels?

9) Are schematics (books, mags) available for the Formant system?

10) Is there a source for raw keyboards (no case) ?  Prefer to buy
straight from a manufacturer, not surplus.

100) Is this enough questions?

Thanks,
Roger

--

    /       Roger Arrick       /     Arrick Robotics       /

Time and accident cannot replace intelligence and purpose.