Fast analog sw. plus various

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Tue Jan 7 18:35:58 CET 1997

     Hi DIY,

     <various subjects included>

     No quantizer post here yet, Chris! However this could be due to our
     company discovering (the hard way!) that the computer room UPS is
     malfunctioning, for most of the day yesterday (wind storms took out
     the power grid). Dead gateways tell no tales.

     Re: ASM VCO FETs (whoa acronym crazy) - I've heard the MPF-102 dies,
     which I've never tried, how about the 2N4391? Those work for me, as
     does the NTE466, but to be honest I've never let an ASM-1 run for an
     extended length of time (one of these days I'll build a synthesizer
     with one, I swear!). I suspect that the thing that blows FET's in this
     application is repeated cap discharge current being beyond the FET's
     rating. The original Electronotes circuit specified the 2N4859 which
     is a fairly high-current chopper.

     Re: Chris - heard you're building a frequency shifter from EN. Hey I
     did one of those, cool box man. Anyway here's some testing tips (if I
     may). With a circuit of that complexity I am of course in a hurry to
     get it running, but that feeling is tempered by the fact that if I
     just throw it all together and try it I'd be setting myself up for a
     fall when it doesn't work right off the bat. So I try to test each
     part before integrating the whole mess, in some haphazard way. Well
     the real stinker in this case was the 90 degree Phase-Difference
     Network (which creates a sin and cosin output for any input frequency)
     due to all those carefully tuned filters. So the trick I used was to
     form a lissojous figure on the O-scope (X-Y input mode) with the two
     outputs, and stick a microphone on the input (pre-amped of course) and
     yell into the thing. All inputs (grunts, whistles, etc.) should
     produce a rough circle on the scope. This is a quick way to see if
     you're gonna get some well-defined 90 degree shifted signals for the
     ring modulators to mess with. I predict that you will pee your pants
     when you get this thing working. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :)

     Re: Jurgen's SSM2040 clone: Good Job! Anxiously awaiting the schematic
     at synth-fool. Any PCB plans? The 2040 VCLFP is truly a great sound.
     BTW there is a phase shifter in my first modular (circa 1976) that
     uses two 2040's for an eight-pole phaser. It's a very good sound as
     well, no radio stations.:)

     Re: VC'ing Envelope Generator times - a nice floating "resistor" (for
     cap charge/discharge anyway) can be made from an opto-isolator like
     the 4N37. The main problem with this idea is that the exponential ADSR
     slopes will become linear due to the fact that the opto is not a
     resistor but instead a constant current device. The time constant
     range becomes real large (from zero to minutes) but you need to be
     able to tolerate the linear operation. But you can't beat the parts
     count! Sorry no three-terminal pots however.

     Can't think of any other new developments... most bench time now being
     spent re-building a Hammond B-3 in the garage.... oh yeah also I need
     to mess around with the Vortex my wife gave me for Christmas (god I
     love that woman!).

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com