logarithmic F to V, tuning ref

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Jan 6 23:44:58 CET 1997

     I've built a crystal-based A-440 reference that runs off of a single
     +5 volt supply. It consists of an oscillator module with a frequency
     of 10.1376 MHz, followed by a divide-by-10 counter, followed by a
     divide-by-9 counter, followed by a divide-by-256 counter. The first
     two dividers are formed out of 74HCT191 counters using the carry-out
     to preload-in modulus trick, with the carry pulse clocking the next
     counter. The last counter is made from a 74HCT393.

     The final 440 Hz square wave is passed through a pair of 100K/0.01uF
     passive low-pass sections, followed by an op-amp buffer (1/2 of an
     LM358), followed by a 0.15uF/47K high-pass section to center the
     waveform around zero volts. The output is a line-level waveform that
     is nearly sinusoidal.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com