Press n Peel PCB's

R.G. Keen keen at austin.ibm.com
Thu Oct 31 21:36:03 CET 1996

On 31 Oct 1996, jupiter4 wrote:

>I just bought these.  I intend to give 'em a shot this weekend, I'll let
>you know how well they work.  So everybody understands what they are (I
>didn't understand it 'til I got it):
>
>the idea is that you xerox an etch-resist-positive picture onto one of
>these big blue plasticky things.  You then iron the design onto your
>plate, and then carefully peel it off -- supposedly, the copier toner acts
>as an adhesive, and so you pull away all of the spots where the toner
>wasn't.  I'm a bit afraid that this won't work for some of my itty-bitty
>traces.
>
>On the other hand, I still think this beats messing around with
>photoresist...
I use Press-N-Peel all the time. I design a board in Easytrax, print
it to PNP in my laser printer, and iron it on. Once you get a feel for
the ironing, the results are extremely predictable.

I regularly print 15 mil traces, which is plenty fine enough to get
one line per channel, about all you can hope to do at home anyway.

Printed text on the circuit board at 8 mil lines is actually pretty
reliable, and always easily readable.

Once you do the work needed to get this technique down, you will
probably not go back to photo except for boards you want multiples
of.

The problems with PNP are all in the board size. There is a thermal
expansion of the material as you iron, and it is hard to get it
to lie flat on boards over 6" with a household iron. A hot shoe
laminator or hot roller laminator should be able to produce good
results over an entire 8.5 x 11 sheet.

R.G.