DIY Digital synthesis, anyone?

Tony Clark clark at andrews.edu
Wed Oct 30 04:30:20 CET 1996

   I can vouch for the TI DSP chips, I did my senior research project on
the simulation of non-resonant filters using the 'C30 floating point
processor.  It is about mid-range in computational horsepower amongst
TI's line of DSP chips.  It could handle 12th order low-high-bandpass
filtering with ease.
   Anyway, I've never used the Motorola chips, although the man who
taught my DSP classes used them religeously.  I'm sure that you'll find
two camps of people in regards to which of them to use.
   You can get two kinds of evaluation boards from TI for their various
families of DSP chips.  There's the type that is built into a PC card and
the type that plugs into your serial port.  I think you can get either
kind for $99.  They price them cheap to get people started in it.  :)
   The PC card DSP evaluation module is good for learning how to program
the chip.  Everything is built in, all you have to do is program it and
hit execute.
   The outboard model is good for learning how to build circuitry to
interface to the DSP chip once you've gotten the programming down.
Another downside is that you have to prep the board a little in order to
get it to a useable state.
   TI's also been good for documentation and upkeep.  They send me stuff
regularly with new programming techniques and code for their DSP.  It
doesn't seem like that long ago they sent me a booklet with code for the
synthesis of waveforms in it.
   What's neat about the DSP chips, I think, is that they can be used as
a CPU, not just as a slave unit to a CPU.  This makes it easy to design a
whole project around just the single chip.  Plus you don't have a huge
set of instructions to deal with, unlike your typical CPU.
   Anyway, forgot what this thread was about...oh yeah, digital
synthesis.  It seems to me that using a PC evaluation board would be the
best way to learn about that.  You won't have to worry about hardware,
just a little programming.  Then once you get that down, you can expand
out...on whatever platform you want.

   Tony

I can't drive (my Moog) 55!
Tony Clark -- clark at andrews.edu