more MetalPhoto info

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Wed Oct 23 18:39:01 CEST 1996

     Hi list,

     I've been watching this thread (in its various incarnations) for a
     while, with great interest! I really *do* plan to build some ASM-1
     project soon, honest. One good thing about letting it slide for so
     long is that I tend to think about it a lot and new ideas crop up now
     and then.

     Okay listen I designed the thing back in, heck, March or something and
     I have 3 working stuffed circuit boards, but no synthesizers yet! What
     the hell is wrong with me. Well my wife had a baby in March and then
     we sold our (undersized) house and bought a new (oversized) house in
     June so now I'm just starting to get back to projects. Yeah yeah
     excuses excuses.... anyway here's my input to this thread:

     If a cheap cool-looking panel were available I'd like to be in on the
     design (if I may) and I'd also want a bunch for myself. I've been
     holding off on making any commitment for anything that would cost more
     than $10-30 per. What's the price for this thin-aluminum glue-it-on
     sheet idea? It seems like I'm zeroing in on this laser-printed
     cardboard thing simply out of sheer cost-effectiveness plus ease. I do
     not want any chemical or paint messes - somebody else can do that if
     they want. I do want to use a PC, if I make my own. No more freehand
     for me, I'm past that stage. And if somebody else can do it, I would
     be very happy indeed as that would free up some time for the building
     process itself!

     These are my synthesizer thoughts:

     1. Big panel, all fully patchable, semi-modular design (a
     "semi-modular" has separate sections on the panel for independent
     modules but you can't move them around like on a Moog). No corners
     cut, all possible jacks and pots, banana or 1/4" jacks.

     2. Small panel, normalled connections, for "expander module" type
     synthsizers, like the OB SEM.

     3. Medium panel, normalled connection, one set of controls for a group
     of ASM-1's plus some minor individual controls (like individual VCO
     fine tune tweaks, etc.). Of course now the cabinet behind would have
     to be bigger to hold all those PCB's....

     The first would be good for small modulars. One more ambitious idea is
     to make this design, times four or eight, to get a big patchable poly
     monster (drool drool) with lots of patchcords.

     The second would be more portable.

     The third requires a little modification to the ASM's so that their
     ADSR controls and VCF resonance etc. are ganged together for voltage
     control. I've discovered a cool way to VC the EG time constants
     cheaply but it does require some added mess.

     As far as panel layout goes - I have a design done in Microsoft
     Paintbrush (I know - yuk, so I did it at work okay?) for
     laser-printing that has what I think is a good compromise between
     simplicity and completeness. It's like #1 above, fully patchable, and
     fits on a plate 16.5" X 12.75", which would rack-mount easily across
     the 16.5" dimension. That plate happens to be one that we use here at
     work for a lid to one of our products, so I can get scratched ones
     from the production floor for free, so that's where my design size
     came from. I figured that two of these, one above the other, in a wood
     case about 9" deep, would be about the same physical dimension as a
     Moog System 15, so I envision making three or four cabinets and
     setting them side-by-side for a cool n-voice modular setup.

     Anyway if we can make it cheap, and if it's easy to apply, and it's
     durable, and it's very, very cool looking, I want to be involved!

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com